Monday, February 04, 2008

Say no to plastic bags


A recent New York Times article refers to the reduction of plastic bags in Ireland. The article, by Elisabeth Rosenthal, said:
"In 2002, Ireland passed a tax on plastic bags; customers who want them must now pay 33 cents per bag at the register. ... Within weeks, plastic bag use dropped 94 percent."

When I lived in Italy, it cost extra to buy a plastic bag at the grocery store. I always kicked myself when I forget to bring my tote bag, and patted myself on the back when I remembered. As inconvenient as it was at times, it made me very aware of the waste I created.

I still remain confused as to why certain states don't charge 5 cents more on aluminum cans and glass bottles and then give that change back when consumers bring in their waste.

National Geo just put out an article saying that the U.S. is one of the worst at recycling, and to no surprise, one of the biggest consumers and creaters of trash.

In San Carlos, California, a man is being sued by the city for canceling his trash contract b/c he has no need of it. He recycles and reuses and has a dog who eats the scraps. In the county I live in, officials and restaurant owners were annoyed at a new state law saying restaurants had to recycle glass.

I'm not sure why it's that difficult for the big picture to catch on to us little folks. Bringing a tote bag everytime takes no more effort than walking from the parking spot to the grocery store. Putting glass and alumninum in the recycle bins instead of in the trash cans is not a demanding task.

Whole Foods is doing away with plastic bags for good. I wonder if lazy America could fight environmental waste like the Irish do.

1 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger puckster said...

Is that entirely valid. There are three Rs not just one. I have re-used the plastic bags for trash bags for several years now. If a tote bag was used, which I own a few, how do you dispose of trash?

Also, does your stance change when bio-plastic gains more wide spread acceptance. That is plastic made from plant starches, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home