Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Un Lugar


A place exists in our memory only within the context of a relationship. It isn't that this dorm room is special, it is the interactions I've had in it with friends...BJ's dance parties...that make it special. As life continues on its changing path, there are many memories that I will hold onto from this one place called HPU. From my freshman year, BSG's became a active part of my life, CCC, FHA, PTL, and all the memories that go along with each acronym. Sliding down the hill by belk on my belly during a snow storm, trying to learn how to break dance even tho I'm wretchedly horrible at it (but I maintain that I am an inside-out oreo...yeh, this girl has rhythm!)Camping trips with Cru and OAC, white water rafting and free tshirts, eating hotdogs and smores roasted on fires all over NC. Climbing on the roof, no I wont say with whom or what roof! RA doooodie nights which meant moooovie nights, painting carpets to wood blocks to the rock, leaving school early to go to China, leaving a semester to go to Nicaragua, skipping school for a week to go to Argentina, singing with jonnnny boy even tho he always picks on me, never knowing anyone's name at the beginning of the semester. Learning to adapt my ears to SB's thick accent and wondering if I can ever fully understand her. Analyzing life with WPAPHMASJBSWJPLBEAJM and MGSLBHJI those fav profs of mine, and my BHG's and even tho the rest of us know the H stands for hugs, JA swears it stands for something else. It's so weird that my life of academics is now going to be officially over. It's all I've known for so long, and even though this place holds a lot of great memories, it's time to move on, even if moving on right now only means returning to the folk's home. I'm glad FB is around so I can keep in touch easier with a lot of hpuers. Hopefully I'll be in another country within the next five years, hopefully I'll be a journalist for a while, hopefully I'll put into practice all that I have learned here. Sometimes I look back and wonder what difference did I make. Maybe none, but the people in this place have certainly taught me a lot. Mostly that generalizations aren't always true, that friendship exists in many forms, and that time swashes around every relationship. And that God is the sure foundation in whom "I will not greatly be moved" Thats it. I hate saying goodbye to places and people. I hope when I head out of this world, I wont have the time to analyze my life, because the truth is there's a lot of reluctant lessons I've learned in college, memories you dont want to hear about as a reader, memories I dont like to remember. Life is sucky at times, and amazing at others...often its neither high nor low. its when you look back that you see how much the good times stick out and how the bad times....well they always teach you something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home